To stay on top, Airbus recognises the importance of supporting high-achieving and talented undergraduates. We do this through offering challenging internship opportunities during which your skills and potential are fully maximised.
Our internships give a unique insight into potential career paths within Airbus. They are designed so that you can put your theoretical knowledge into practice and gain crucial industry experience. The skills and knowledge you gain will improve your chances of a future role within the Airbus and should benefit your future studies.
As part of the continued development of the Zephyr platform an exciting opportunity is available to enable personal development in the field of Production and Manufacturing Engineering with knowledge and practical application of Lean principles. The successful intern candidate shall have prior knowledge and experience of Lean principles specifically relating to Lean Factory Flow. They shall have the opportunity to grow, develop and gain exposure in the fields of Assembly Integration and Test, manufacturing engineering of aero structures, systems and avionics in this world record breaking Zephyr Platform. This position is focussed on production improvements to the extremely lightweight structure capable of persistent flight in the stratosphere.
Tasks & accountabilities
Working as part of the integrated production team you will be responsible for:
- Preparation for the Industrialisation of the Zephyr aircraft production.
- Analysing of factory flows and proposing improvements.
- Practical application of Lean principles in the Manufacturing Engineering environment.
- Contributing towards the optimising of the production of HAPS platforms and support equipment.
- Develop solutions meeting system requirements focussing on lightweight structures.
- Preparing and presenting design solutions to design reviews.
- Working as part of the production team with a focus on design for manufacture.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Candidates will have applied knowledge in the production aerospace industry with either a degree in Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering, or equivalent experience.
The successful intern candidate’s experience and skills will include the following:
- Interpretation of system technical requirements into a finalised design and product.
- Demonstrated application of Lean Principles leading to implementation of improvements.
- Experience of working in a Manufacturing Engineering environment, able to bring fresh and innovative ideas to work instructions for shop floor / production improvements.
- Knowledge of composite fabrication techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in Space/Aerospace industry.
- Experience of working on project work packages to tight timescales throughout the full life cycle of a project.
- Knowledge of drawing standards specifically technical product specification BS8888 desirable.
- Experience of requirements capture and management would be an advantage.