Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. Providing a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, and construction – and program - management. Our 77,000+ employees in 400+ locations around the world serve a broad range of companies and organisations including industrial, commercial, and government clients across multiple markets and geographies.
During our 125 years in the UK, we have been involved in some of the biggest and most challenging projects, delivering innovative and sustainable solutions to the country’s most critical issues, from access to clean air and safe water, civil and national security and safeguarding mobility.
Business Unit Description:
With more than fifty years of Nuclear experience, Jacobs has unrivalled nuclear capability and provides full life-cycle solutions to our nuclear clients. Services include programme and project management, design and engineering, reactor support, construction, commissioning, operations, maintenance, (radioactive) waste management, decommissioning and clean-up.
We have consistently delivered value and innovation to technically challenging and complex nuclear and environmental-related projects by offering multidisciplinary capabilities, technical expertise, proven processes and a commitment to regulatory compliance, health, safety and quality workmanship.
The current Jacobs Framework supports the client in the following Discipline Areas:
- Project Management
- Project Engineering
- Quality Management & Engineering
- HSE Management & Engineering.
The client owns and operates 8 nuclear, 2 coal and 1 gas-fired power stations, plus gas storage facilities, renewable assets and two administration offices. The coming together of the coal, gas and renewable assets with nuclear stations makes it the largest electricity supplier by volume and the biggest generator of low carbon electricity in Britain, providing 25% of the UK’s total electricity.
The projects encompass the full spectrum of the Investment Delivery Process from Concept, through Design, to Implementation and Commissioning. All disciplines, Mechanical, Electrical, C&I, Civils & Construction
This is an exciting opportunity and we are seeking enthusiastic any engineering discipline (Mechanical / Civil) graduates with 0-2 years’ industry experience who have a desire to progress their careers within Nuclear Power.
The roles will be based on our Client site which is a nuclear power station.
Project(s) in Scope:
- Various Hinkley Point B Power Station engineering life time extension projects
- Value – £00’s to 000’s progressing to £M’s.
There is a diverse portfolio of work, split into plant facing groups to support station engineering and the site with the delivery of plant life extension projects.
Successful candidates will join one of the Plant facing groups; develop as an engineer and gain project engineering / management skills to support their own development and the team.
- All deliverables produced will be under the Client Investment Delivery (ID) processes and procedures.
- Completion of Client documentation required as part of the tasks assigned will be prepared in line with Client requirements and quality specifications and will feed in to appropriate milestones.
- The Graduate PE will be required to produce progress and accountability reports and to support the collation of wider programme publications.
- The Graduate PE will be required to support internal and external stakeholder interactions.
- The candidate should have good leadership qualities, be highly motivated, well organised and capable of working within a closely-knit team.
- They need to be able to respond well to the demands of working in the nuclear sector.
- They need to be able to communicate, build relationships, be proactive and be part of a team.
- Health & Safety
- Business Acumen
- Challenge and Change
- Decision Making
- Leadership Values
- Building Relationships
- Leading through Teamwork
- Open Communication
- Developing Self and Others
- Achievement Orientation.
- Work as part of the project engineering teams to assist in safely delivering projects to time, cost, quality & scope.
- Assist in developing and executing effective delivery strategies and plans in line with the overall Project Execution Plan (PEP), setting out how the programme of work will be managed, organised and executed.
- Assist in developing specifications and project work packages.
- Maintain effective communications with all Stakeholders.
- Participate in Health and Safety inspections of work/construction sites.
- Assist in Quality inspections.
- Must recognise the importance of nuclear safety and zero harm
- Security Clearance:
- BPSS level security clearance required
- Note1: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the responsibilities & activities that the job holder may be required to undertake
- Note2: Travel & Subsistence package is not paid for non-locals
- Note3: May be asked to work unsociable hours during Station Outage and provide Weekend / Bank Holiday cover.
- Note4: Expected to attend client site during normal working hours Monday to Friday – 40hrs per week
- Note5: Please provide travel plan to site to undertake this role / salary expectation / current notice period on Cover Letter with this application.
- Engineering Degree qualified, Mechanical / Civil preferred
- Appreciation of Safety as a number one priority in project engineering delivery.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Positive and professional approach.
- Problem solving and the ability to work within a dynamic team.
- Enthusiastic, inquisitive and confident, with an appetite to learn and personal focus on delivery/getting things done.
- Good organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent communications skills & interpersonal skills, including questioning for clarification and establishing of facts, observation and active listening.
- Ability to cope well under pressure & work within tight timeframes,
- Clear decision-making ability with the acumen to judge complex situations & assess when to escalate issues.
- Self-motivated, able to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Fluent English – written & verbal.
- Understanding of the UK nuclear industry; including Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Legal and Environmental factors.
- Formal project management qualification - PMQ preferable (APMP-level D).
- Experience of working in a fast pace engineering project environment
- French language – written & verbal.
- BPSS level security clearance required.
- Must recognise the importance of nuclear safety and zero harm.
At Jacobs we see safety differently - we strive to go ‘BeyondZero’ by putting the health, safety and well-being of our employees first in everything we do.
We are committed to equality across our business and we work with external organisations such as STEM, WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and Stonewall. We are also Disability Confident Committed; therefore, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy.
When you join Jacobs you will have access to a wide range of Global Networks, centred on inclusion and diversity which is the foundation of our business and at the centre of our values.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.
As well as our accredited training programmes which will help you to achieve professional status, you will be supported by an experienced mentor to complete the Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP).
Working through a range of internal and external training courses, key skills will aid your development in all technical management and interpersonal skills required for success in a project focused environment.
We also offer a range of benefits to complement a competitive salary:
- Salary increase for every GDP key skill completed on time.
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management.
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays.
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme.