We are looking for 70 graduates across 10 schemes to join our dynamic, social and innovative company. Ocado has been growing rapidly and through this we are giving real responsibility and autonomy to our graduates. Graduates will not just fill spaces, but we will give you genuine development opportunities to become future leaders and rise quickly through the company to help shape the future of Ocado.
The Engineering Operations Scheme
Ocado is underpinned by ever-changing engineering operations and at the forefront of technology in warehouse design. Engineering operations are responsible for all maintenance, repair and continuous improvement of the automated mechanical handling equipment (AMHE) used across all our warehouses (which we call "Customer Fulfilment Centres" or "CFCs"). Graduates on this 18 month scheme are some of the first to have the opportunity to work with our newly installed Ocado own unique automated solutions. The programme will cover aspects of “applied” engineering to AMHE environment.
Some of your responsibilities could involve:
- Setting up analytical analysis processes using statistical process control (SPC) and Six sigma approach to preventative maintenance systems
- Engaging with engineering teams on Root Cause Analysis and solutions
- Setting up “LEAN” initiatives similar to 5S and total quality management (TQM)
- Reacting to MHE breakdowns (both mechanical and electrical), locating the fault, analysing the issue and completing the fix in a timely manner to keep operation downtime to a minimum
- Increasing machine reliability on existing and new equipment, diagnosing equipment breakdowns and action repairs ensuring direction of labour and planned engineering activities fully support the operation
Potential placements include:
- Continuous improvement team – Getting an introductory view of your base CFC, learning the essentials of all things bot and getting to know the technical aspects and how to fix what powers our CFC’s.
- Engineering Team Manager – With added responsibility, you will be involved not only in the operation of bots, but managing a team to ensure they work efficiently.
- General Engineering Operations – This rotation provides you with a broader perspecitvie and vantage point of the CFC you work in, whilst becoming familiar with standardised processes
Learning & Development
In this role you will develop and refine essential engineering, team work and management skills whilst gaining valuable experience across the wide range of responsibility areas discussed. Your development will be supported throughout your placements by fantastic teams and the use of personal targets and development plans set by your managers. You will be expected to complete Engineering & Management training courses alongside an array of additional training opportunities available to graduates at Ocado from negotiation training courses to presentation skill workshops.
What do we need from you?
- Engineering degree or experience (2:2 and above) with A-Levels grade BCC
- Technical mind-set with a desire to want to understand how processes work
- Good communication skills and the ability to be dynamic in different teams as a technician and a manager