AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for
governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we
connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most
complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and
environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
AECOM is one of the world’s largest professional engineering consultancies, bringing a comprehensive
portfolio of building services and engineering skills to projects encompassing all types of building and
use from world class sporting venues through to commercial properties, healthcare & research, hotels,
industrial & manufacturing, and infrastructure both in the UK and overseas.
Building physics is a specialist team that sits within our building engineering business line. Our building
physics engineers support our building engineering and sustainability teams and carry out independent
consultancy for a range of clients.
Along with core Dynamic Thermal Modelling (DTM) services assessing plant sizing, compliance with
Part L2A of the Building Regulations, our team also carries out LEED and ASHRAE modelling, TM54
energy analysis, daylight modelling, thermal comfort and ventilation modelling, low and zero carbon
technologies feasibility studies, and supports the development of mixed use masterplans.
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) studies are also undertaken on a wide variety of subjects,
pedestrian comfort wind models, natural and mechanical ventilation of buildings and tunnels, and
detailed modelling of smoke, fire and water flow.
When a graduate starts with us we pair them with an experienced modeller who will guide and mentor
them through their initial period working on live projects. Training is arranged on our software modelling
tool IES to ensure all our building physics engineers have a full set of design skills. AECOM run a
comprehensive graduate training program to develop skills in areas including clear communication and
report writing, client presentation and financial management.
As a graduate develops they are expected to take on more responsibility in managing our projects from
inception through to completion. Graduates will regularly meet with their line manager to discuss their
progress, areas of interest and plan future development activities.
• Engineering or related STEM degree at 2:1 (or equivalent) or above
• Maths and physics A-Levels (or equivalent) at grade ‘B’ or above preferred but not essential
• Ability to demonstrate an interest in working in the mechanical engineering or building services
• Experience of or degree modules relating to; building physics, use of modelling software,
engineering specifically, and a range of renewable energy technologies.
• Knowledge of the built environment would be preferred but not essential
• Some experience or knowledge of software packages associated with modelling DTM and or CFD
(preferred but not essential)
• Be creative, practical, adaptable and enthusiastic.
• Be highly motivated with excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills with experience of working collaboratively
• Ability to demonstrate attention to detail.
• Ability to think in a methodical way to design, plan and organise parts of projects
• Able to work independently as part of a team.
• Fluent English
• An awareness of health and safety, environmental factors and sustainability in all aspects of
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe,
will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a
core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous
disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes
across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a
tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development
ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have
graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest
standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a
mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the
programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, with significant multidisciplinary exposure.