BSc Economics & Finance, University of Bristol
Chris Lake is a Senior Director at Ankura, based in London. Chris primarily focuses on valuation and accounting-related engagements that involve determining the value of businesses or shares, as well as calculating lost profits or assessing wasted costs. He has been appointed as an expert witness before the UK High Court and Family Court.
Chris has further experience of UK litigation and international arbitrations before such organisations as ICSID, UNCITRAL, LCIA, AIAC (formerly KLRCA), SCC, and LMAA. His work has included valuing: offshore hydrocarbon assets in West Africa, joint ventures engaged in infrastructure operations in the Middle East, and expropriated retail assets in Uzbekistan.
Prior to joining Ankura, Chris was a member of FTI Consulting’s economic and financial consulting practice in London. He previously interned with Deloitte UK while still a student and, after earning his degree in economics and finance, worked as a research assistant at the University of Bristol’s Centre for Market and Public Organisation.
Chris’ professional experience includes:
- Expert Appointments: Assessed lost profits and wasted costs following the provision of defective goods on behalf of a wholesale food and drink supplier. In matrimonial proceedings, Chris has valued the shares of a privately-held, owner-managed logistics company.
- Investor-State Arbitrations; Commercial Arbitrations: Valuation of expropriated investments, including in the: oil and gas, commodities, infrastructure, and retail sectors. Valuation of shares in a manufacturing company following enforcement of a share pledge.
- Loss Assessments: Assessment of lost profits of a company developing real estate in Eastern Europe. Assessment of lost profits of an Eastern European oil and gas company. Assessment of lost profits for an insurance claim by a UK company operating in the leisure industry.
- Charterparty Disputes, Discount Rate Estimation: Estimating appropriate discount rates in the context of charterparty disputes, valuations, and excessive pricing claims.
- Family Proceedings: Valuation of shares in a privately-held, owner-managed logistics company. Valuation advice relating to an IT company valued at around £300 million. Valuation of a minority interest in an international portfolio of property companies.
- Wasted Costs, Cost Allocations: Wasted costs assessment in relation to a large government IT project. Wasted costs assessment in relation to oil and gas operations, following breach of contract. Determination of appropriate cost allocation in a North Sea oil and gas joint venture.