Alfred H Knight is an independent provider of inspection and testing services. Established in 1881, AHK operates in more than 40 countries with a well-earned reputation for providing reliable, professional services.
We provide specialist services for a wide range of commodities within base and minor metals, steel raw materials, ferroalloys, precious metals, platinum group metals, industrial minerals, solid fuels and fertilisers. Our clients include miners, smelters, refineries, traders, financial institutions and government bodies.
We maintain rigorous quality standards to ensure that our operations provide the highest level of services to our clients. We achieve this through compliance with industry standards and regulations for laboratory, inspection and quality management, including ISO: IEC 17025, 17020, 9001, 14001 and 45001.
Our people are our finest asset and, as a truly global company, we value diversity and respect people from all backgrounds.
What is on offer?
We have an opportunity for a Laboratory Technician to join our General Chemistry Department based in Prescot. The Laboratory Technician is responsible for carrying out analytical methods and standard operating practices without supervision to a high degree of precision and accuracy, ensuring that an effective and high quality analytical service is provided. You will also be responsible for meeting reporting deadlines on the various types of samples/commodities submitted to the laboratory for analytical evaluation.
- Ensuring at all times that a high degree of accuracy and precision is applied to methods and procedures through incorporating and promoting good laboratory practice principles.
- Responsible for ensuring that work throughout is followed in accordance to documented methods, procedures and timescales.
- Advising the Laboratory Manager of repetitive problems in connection with training and development objectives that manifest during the execution of day-to-day analytical methods and procedures and associated standard operating practices.
- Maintaining records and laboratory data in agreement with the Lab Manager such that work is clearly and easily auditable and traceable.
- Processing analytical data unsupervised in preparation of results being checked and authorised prior to reporting.
- Assisting the Laboratory Manager in setting out and implementing extended training programmes that will ensure that the post holder is sufficiently well trained to carry out their analytical responsibilities accurately and efficiently.
- Assisting the Lab Manager in updating the post holders training record at every training milestone, while maintaining competency training records as a record of achievement beyond the initial 12 months training and development. Take full responsibility for own training records.
- Undertaking other duties of an appropriate nature in consultation with the Lab Manager
- Ensuring that all laboratory work areas and work stations are kept clean and tidy.
- Ensuring stocks of consumables are monitored and replenished in a timely manner.
- Ensuring that all PPE and health and safety procedures are adhered to, in line with the laboratory code of practise.
Do you have what it takes?
To be successful at Alfred H Knight, you will need to display the following:
Required Knowledge and Work Experience
- Flexible in terms of the ability to operate and contribute in a changing environment
- Good attention to detail
- A team player, working alongside others with positivity and respect
- A positive attitude, taking pride in your work
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and be able to use own initiative
- A willingness to take full ownership of the role and to go above and beyond
- Keen interest in Chemistry and/or other scientific principles
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of manual dexterity.
We are offering an excellent opportunity with a salary and benefits package to match, including pension, life assurance and an employee assistance programme.
We've signed the Gradcracker feedback pledge.
(This means that we will supply feedback if requested after an interview.)