About our Business…
Ansaldo Nuclear is one half of an Italian/UK integrated engineering business, in the nuclear industry.
In the UK, our teams – and that could include you – are working on the design of bespoke mechanical handling, process and test equipment including the associated control and automation equipment for the nuclear industry across defence, decommissioning and new build. Our projects include producing designs from optioneering and concept through to detail design for manufacture.
Then taking our designs into manufacture through to install and commissioning. There is no “normal” project or day – our Graduate opportunities, and all of our roles are for people who love creating solutions to complex problems and never stop learning.
Our Graduate scheme is now in its 9th year and considered a real success and a massive asset in the business, not least because of the successful contribution our Graduates have made and continue to make.
To work flexibly to undertake a variety of activities associated within the engineering department and to gain an understanding of all other company departmental functions and disciplines.
Key Activities / Decision Areas
- Becoming established as a valued team member over the course of the Graduate Scheme
- Operating as a part of a design team as tasks demand
- Undertaking basic technical activities
- Working with a Mentor/Supervisor to deliver assigned tasks to the required quality, technical content and timescales
- Working within and maintaining records or all work in order to satisfy company standards, procedures, national quality and legal requirements
- Maintaining personal Graduate Scheme training and development records
- Liaise with other technical personnel to optimise solutions
- Keeping abreast of the latest technology appropriate to all areas being covered in the Graduate Scheme Training
- Gaining experience of all departmental functions and disciplines and learn how the company operates, assisting wherever required
- Working consistently to successfully complete all training and experience to complete the Graduate Scheme and Chartership to one of the professional bodies, e.g. IMechE
- Responsible for ensuring that the technical accuracy of own work meets the standards set by the HR/Engineering department and the Mentor/Supervisor.
- Responsible for ensuring all tasks set by the Mentor are completed in full and the Quarterly Professional Training Report are completed and submitted for validation to the relevant Engineering Professional Body.
- Graduate: Responsible for keeping MPDS up-to-date and for taking ownership for ensuring (once they’ve spent sufficient time in a department) that they communicate to the Grad Scheme Manager (a few weeks ahead of time) that they’re ready for their next move.
During the first few months at Ansaldo Nuclear, each Mechanical / Control & Instrumentation / Electrical Engineering Graduate is expected to understand:
- The 4 Year Scheme Plan
- The UK SPEC Competence Requirements
Summary of the Graduate Scheme Plan:
- Year 1 - Develop knowledge of manufacturing and basic design skills
- Year 2 - Develop the Graduate’s knowledge of design
- Year 3 - Develop Nuclear Knowledge & broad project skills
- Year 4 - Apply design skills & take on greater responsibilities
Essential role related knowledge, technical skills, qualifications and experience
- 2:1 Bachelor's
- Desirable - Master's
- Desirable - experience on 2D and 3D CAD (Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD)
- Desirable – Vault experience
- Focuses on the customer - Works co-operatively with customers and stakeholders (internal and external)
in order to meet and exceed their expectations
- Collaborates and Shares Knowledge - Seeks to create collective success through teamwork, knowledge sharing and mutual support
- Delivers Results/ Focuses on Solution - Plans what needs to be delivered and then focuses on making it happen
- Build Teams - Brings together the right people, in the right place at the right time to deliver business objectives
- Adapts to change - Is able to respond positively to individual or organisational change.
- Acts with Integrity and Professionalism - Demonstrates trust and integrity in their day to day working
- Holds Self & Others to Account - Sets clear performance objectives for self and others, monitoring progress and taking appropriate action to ensure delivery
- Has a Global Approach - Has a flexible approach to different situations, promoting information flow and integration with all corporate units. Works in international environments through adaption and cross-cultural management and integration.
- People Development - Empower and allow people to develop themselves within their own professional job family and within a multi-disciplinary environment. Identifying learning needs and formulating consistent development plans.
What you’ll get
You will receive a competitive starting salary with £1,500 increment per year based on progress. To help remove barriers, be they location or otherwise you will also have access to a number of additional benefits such as 25 days’ holiday, a competitive pension scheme and a number of flexible benefits. You will gain support towards Chartered Engineering status and professional qualifications.
About our Culture
At Ansaldo, our commitment to our people is the lifeblood of our success. We encourage and support all of our employees – not just our Graduates - to thrive and be the best they can be. We welcome and encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds as we know that diversity enables better business outcomes.
We care about colleagues, communities and customers. Their health and safety are non-negotiable priorities. Everyone supports and inspires others to keep safe and well. People’s health supports to our long term effectiveness and we look after our environment because our actions today impact on tomorrow’s generations. We explore others’ needs, treating people with respect and listening to their perspectives. In this way we bring out the best in each other.