At Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains we offer a 12 month Engineering Placement Programme which will tap into your passion and determination to win, giving you a real opportunity to contribute to our success story and ‘own your tenth of a second’.
You will take ownership for delivering innovative engineering solutions that go from idea to conclusion, sometimes in a matter of days. You will be an integral part of our Engineering Team, using strong first principles to overcome challenges throughout the Power Unit’s lifecycle.
As a team we pride ourselves on challenging and developing our placement students with a rotation plan which will provide exposure to a breadth of engineering across a range of exciting and challenging projects including Formula 1 and Advanced Technology. Rotating within HPP’s Engineering Team you will have the potential to experience a engineering from many perspectives:
- Thermofluids Engineering: Define and deliver performance concepts that ensure the PU has the highest crank power and maximum thermal efficiency in Qualifying & Race
- Calibration and Controls: Define and deliver calibration and control system innovations that optimise energy flows to achieve the fastest Qualifying & Race laps and deliver outstanding driveability
- Laptime Simulation and Analysis: Model the PU to high resolution, whilst simulating it in the race environment to assist in the definition, optimisation and delivery of performance across a race weekend
- Mechanical Engineering: every ICE component is owned through its full lifecycle by a Mechanical Engineer. You can be responsible for the design of components and/or systems from concept, through prove-out and into the Silver Arrows race car
- Mechatronics and Chassis Engineering: designing new concepts, managing the integration of the Powerunit with the chassis, developing the ERS pack (electronic and mechanical components)
- Product Validation: determine the health and performance of every Power Unit. Work to prove-out the maximum operating envelope of the Power Unit to set out limits for racing. Data analysis to characterise the Power Unit and track it’s duty real-time
- Test Engineering: strive to recreate the racetrack and race-car environment to make each experiment as representative as possible. Engineer test rigs to push the components and systems of the Power Unit to their absolute limit and validate the underpinning simulations
There will also be an opportunity to have a Test Engineering focused rotation, if this is a preference for you please make it known in your application.
What can we offer you?
We offer the opportunity to work in a state of the art Technology Centre, being involved in exciting technological challenges alongside some of the world’s best engineers. You will get the opportunity to engineer solutions in world class facilities and, having been thoroughly proven at our Technology Centre. You will be able to see your ideas raced in F1 or powering the revolutionary Project ONE hypercar.
Our benefits package includes:
- A salary of £21,000pa
- Collective bonus
- Company lease car scheme
- 36 days' annual leave
- Access to a generous pension scheme
- Onsite Gym
- A variety of other benefits and staff discounts
What do we need from you?
- A curious, tenacious and driven individual with a hunger to work in a fast paced environment
- On track to achieve a 2.1 degree, or above, in a relevant Mechanical / Automotive / Mechatronics / Motorsport / Aeronautical or related degree e.g. Science or Maths
- A strong academic background in relevant A-Level, or equivalent disciplines, for example Maths or Sciences
- An excellent understanding of engineering first principles
- Practical, “hands-on” experience to complement your academic studies
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivation, adaptability and creativity
- The courage to challenge and desire to be challenged, to expand your technical knowledge and skills
- Submit your on-line application, CV and covering letter
- Complete on-line psychometric testing
- Your application will be screened by HR and the hiring manager
- If successful you will be invited to attend an assessment Centre between November 2022 -March 2023.
- If successful your scheme will start on Monday 4th September 2023
We've signed the Gradcracker feedback pledge.
(This means that we will supply feedback if requested after an interview.)