What’s the opportunity?
Graduates in this role are essential for the success of each of the projects we deliver. By joining the Systems Design and Validation (SD&V) function you will be joining a team that works meticulously to ensure that all system and sub system requirements are written according to requirements and then work with the rest of the functions of the business to ensure delivery to specification. Because of this integral involvement graduates could be involved in projects at all stages of the product lifecycle.
This role would be ideally suited to those with an eye for detail, a passion for problem solving and in interest in working with multiple teams, both internal and external to MBDA.
Key day to day responsibilities in this role include:
- Writing system and sub-system level specifications
- Developing and managing requirements
- Validation, Verification and Certification
- Integrating hardware and software
- Platform integration (airframes, vehicles, ships)
- Simulating weapon system performance and analysing missile trials data.
Systems engineer graduates will join the Early Careers Programme (ECP) which is a structured, 2 year development programme designed to support budding engineers to make the leap from academia into business. Within the Systems Design and Validation function you will have 4 rotations across the 2 years and one of these can be external to SDV.
MBDA Systems engineer graduates will experience the following:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of each element of a missile weapon system from the warhead to the seeker.
- Work alongside and learn from experts with varied skills and backgrounds
- Work with external stakeholders, subcontractors, government customers and industry consortium partners
- Work within teams responsible for coordinating and completing multi-million pound weapons installations.
- Take responsibility to deliver programme critical items of work and guide programme level design decisions
You will have access to the full breadth of training courses and facilities that MBDA offers. For the SD&V function some relevant courses you may take part in include DOORS Training, MBSE Training and Writing Requirements.
You will also benefit from training and support provided by experienced engineers within the department and project teams.
MBDA support continual professional development such as engineering Chartership through multiple accrediting organisations.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- We are looking for someone who has initiative and drive, has strong attention to detail and problem solving skills. Proactive in finding & collecting information and thinking about further steps. Capable of understanding complex problems.
- Hold, or be working towards a minimum 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent qualification) or Masters level degree in Aeronautical, Aerospace, Electrical or Systems Engineering, Maths, Physics, or similar. Applicants with relevant post-graduate qualifications are also encouraged.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Effective communicators; able to demonstrate skills in presenting and technical report writing.
- Have an interest in the defence industry.
- Ability to demonstrate experience of working in teams and taking on responsibility.
- Able to derive logical solutions to inform design decisions.
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States
With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards.