Jacobs employ some of the UK's most experienced and skilled technical services professionals and has grown to over 7,000 people in locations across the UK.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Business Unit Description.
We currently have an opportunity for a graduate civil/ structural engineer within our Energy, chemicals and resources team based in either Stockport Manchester or Glasgow. The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
ECR UK (energy chemical and resources) is involved in projects covering a wide range of sectors including refining, petrochemical, chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
The Graduate civil/structural engineer will work as part of multidiscipline team on a project, contributing to ensuring the quality and timely delivery of C/S deliverables. Dependent on the office you choose to join (Stockport or Glasgow), the role may involve a mixture of office and site-based responsibilities. Although post qualification experience is not vital we are looking to attract people who can show experiences of teamwork and initiative. As a project-based organisation, the ability to be flexible about location will be necessary.
With our broad portfolio of projects of different sizes, you will be provided with opportunities to complete required training towards professional institution membership. As a Graduate C/S engineer you will:
- Plan and prioritise your own work to ensure that functional project requirements on scope, time and cost are met
- Contribute to integrated safety when reviewing or producing engineering designs
- Carry out engineering calculations and structural analysis to deliver a functional input to projects
- Support experienced engineers by producing designs, calculations and technical report documentation
- Supervise design drawing production and other project related design deliverables
- Be responsible for technical issue resolution and monitoring of progress within your own area of responsibility
- Ensure that work complies to all necessary corporate, departmental and legislative requirements and procedures, to guarantee that consistency and quality of deliverables is maintained
- Recognise and address potential and actual cross-discipline issues and conflicts so that overall engineering input to a project is coherent
- Be capable of working in new and changing environments and have a desire to be challenged and contribute to the success of the business.
- Be prepared to be mobile and travel as and when required to support the project.
- Possess excellent communication skills and be comfortable liaising with your team and client.
- Improvements to existing methods and techniques to aid both cost reductions and improved sustainability in assigned work areas .
- Hold an accredited BEng level degree of higher in Civil/ Structural Engineering (or equivalent), at first or upper second class
- You should be highly motivated, keen to learn, well organised and capable of working within a closely-knit team.
- Capable of managing own tasks, costs and meeting deadlines
- A clear communication style, proven team working skills and a strong customer focus
- Strong analytical skills, a sound understanding of structural theory, and an interest in solving problems from first principles
- Understanding of substructures (ground bearing and piled) and structural frame analysis
- Design of structures to Eurocodes and ensuring compliance to relevant codes and standards
- Drive and motivation to become a chartered engineer with IStructE or ICE within a five-year window following graduation.
- Meng level degree
- An understanding of finite element analysis techniques
- Previous work experience in engineering/ construction/ the process industry
Jacobs Graduate Development Programme (GDP) is recognised throughout industry as a benchmark of good practice and is designed to fulfil the needs of all graduates, in addition to technical development needs specific to their particular discipline.
Graduates complete a series of competencies over a two year program based upon business requirements, comprising the optimum mix of blended learning which complements chartership progression and provides them with the technical and business acumen required to advance their career.
Additional benefits include:
- 6 monthly progress reviews with the opportunity to receive salary uplifts dependant on performance
- An invitation to attend our residential 'Graduate Conference' weekend in the Lake District to meet Jacobs graduates from across the globe and members of senior management
- Paid holidays of up to 32 days; inclusive of national and public holidays
- A broad flexible benefits package including the option to buy additional holidays, travel insurance, contributory pension scheme and the cycle to work scheme.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.