We are seeking an Assistant Engineering Geologist to be based in our Swindon Office to undertake engineering geological support and geotechnical design work for a range of interesting projects.
JACOBS is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services, offering a full spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients. As part of that support, Jacobs has developed one of the leading and longest-standing geotechnical and tunnelling consultancy capabilities in the UK, with over 400 geotechnical and tunnelling engineers delivering practical and innovative solutions to ground-related problems.
We are continuing to grow the geotechnical and engineering geology team in our Swindon office.
The geotechnics and engineering geology team in Swindon is one of JACOBS’ main centres for geotechnics within the UK and currently employs circa 26 staff. The team undertakes a wide range of internal service work, a proportion of which is for overseas JACOBS infrastructure projects, together with a broad range of projects for external clients that are won and managed by the team. Areas of work include port developments, highways, bridges, dams, nuclear waste disposal and power stations and our work also includes a significant river and canal engineering and flood defence workload. This varied workload provides exceptional prospects for career development, as the team is involved with some of the largest, most complex and prestigious civil engineering projects.
As an Assistant Engineering Geologist you will work within project teams and will report to project / package managers. The priorities of the role are likely to include:
- Undertaking a wide range of geological / engineering geology studies and assessments.
- Undertaking elements of geotechnical calculations and design work: e.g. earthworks and slope stability
- Assisting with planning, procurement, design and supervision of ground investigations
- Assisting with the preparation / delivery of technical notes, desk studies, feasibility studies, interpretative reports, drawings and engineering geology / geotechnical reports
- Assisting with preparation of technical specifications
- Liaising with contractors and clients, both external and internal
- Managing budgets for tasks on behalf of project / package managers
- Undertaking site based assignments.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- First degree in geology or engineering geology (BSc or MSc) (or an appropriate closely related discipline, with good engineering geology /geotechnical engineering coverage)
- A post-graduate qualification (MSc or PhD) in engineering geology would be advantageous.
You should possess and be able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- Have a sound academic knowledge of engineering geology and an appreciation of geotechnical design principles and practice (and related fields)
- Have an interest in planning, designing, procuring, supervising / managing and interpreting ground investigations
- Knowledge of engineering geology software and design codes and standards
- Awareness of commonly used forms of contract (NEC, ICE etc)
- Good communication skills with fluency in verbal and written English
- Computer literate in MS Office package (or similar)
- Problem solving & analysis skills
- Team player but with an ability to work independently when required
- Planning & organisational skills
- Motivated to deliver to a high quality and to programme
- Commitment to professional and personal development
- A full valid Driving Licence is highly desirable.